Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: No digital comments?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:09:36 -0400

At 06:49 PM 8/14/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>The alternative is to request a hand check. This is totally allowable.

Only in the USA.  I've been denied more often than not lately in foreign
airports.

>  The
>way to go is to remove the film from their containers and have them in a zip
>lock type  bag.  The security guy will wipe a sample couple of rolls and
>scan for nitrates.  If the film is still in their containers then they will
>usually open each one and it takes forever.

But when you come to an ancient x-ray machine in Honduras and they don't
allow you to pass the film around, what do you do?  I asked politely,
argued, went back to the check-in desk and showed them every official
letter I had about x-rays and film.  They finally said that I could pass
around any film that had been shot, but unexposed film would have to be
x-rayed.  I took all of the unexposed rolls and rolled the leaders back in
so they would appear to be exposed.  All of the film got passed
around.  None of these machines are calibrated.  As it turned out, our
plane was cancelled and I had to go through the whole routine again the
next day, which would have meant that my high speed film would have gone
through those uncalibrated machines at least twice.  I would have had to
throw it away rather than depend on it for any assignment.

I'm just tired of arguing and planning for the extra time.  Now they are
checking all electronic stuff more thoroughly, but at least that won't ruin it!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com