Subject: RE: [Leica] No digital comments?
From: "Clive Moss" <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:55:12 -0500

It is not clear that the glass is Leica glass, or just branded Leica, like
the body.
The software in the camera that takes the image from the sensor and puts it
into a jpg or tif format probably has at least as much influence on the
quality of the image as the lens and sensor, if not more. Leica has no
proven capability in that space.
If we could get Leica to work towards a digital M (by which I mean
responsiveness and viewfinder/rangefinder brightness, not lens mount or
lenses) they could produce a killer. Current non-SLR digital cameras have
awful viewfinders and LCD monitors that are useless in daylight and marginal
otherwise. AFAIK, there are no digital rangefinder cameras in production.
- --
Clive
http://clive.moss.net