Subject: Re: [Leica] Bath time, now y'all come
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:03:51 -0400

Hello all:

I've been having difficulty with my firewall. Posted this a few days ago and
it apparently didn't get off. Hope this does.

A few weeks ago I suggested to the LHSA Board that we invite LUG members to
the LHSA Annual Meeting in St. Louis. There are a fair number of members
already on the LUG but it occurred to me that with a shared interest in
photography and the Leica system, it would be fun for those of us who are
and for those of you who are not members. The Society has recently taken a
number of steps to increase dramatically its capability to serve its members
and with that has come a renewed interest in reaching more photographers of
all backgrounds who use and are interested in Leicas. The Board has approved
the idea enthusiastically.

I have the impression that there are LUG members who believe that LHSA is
composed of a bunch of old f*rts who have nothing to do but stroke
affectionately their rare and precious mint Leica I's, their original nul
series Leicas, their Thambar lenses, and pore over Leitz/Leica history
books, arguing over serial numbers and production dates. Yes, there are some
members who get their jollies that way. And they all use their gear to take
photographs. Of the hundreds of LHSA members I have met in person or
electronically in the past several years, I have met only one who told me
that he is a pure Leica collector, that he does not use his equipment. Just
one.

Old f*rts. Yes, we have our share of old f*rts. I am he. We also have our
share of younger f*rts. I wish I were he. One of the reasons I made this
suggestion to the Board is my notion that we need more young f*rts joining
us to share the fun, to share information about photography and to share
their images and image-making with us.

While VIEWFINDER magazine does indeed include articles with a historical or
collector bent such as Leitz' gift to Alfred Eisenstadt of Leica 1000001,
1970's German Optomechanical Production Quality Control: the Leica M5, and
the 25th Anniversary of Oskar Barnack's Death (all in the current
VIEWFINDER), the same issue also offers Tom Abrahamsson's article on "The
Crown Prince of the Night, the 35/1.2 Nokton" a review with photographs by
that lens, a new Leica product review, the introduction of the Leica D-Lux,
Leica news from Germany, and an brief article on the new Leica screw-mount
lenses.

Issue 4 of the 2002 VIEWFINDER had a fascinating (to me) article on Leitz'
work on the rangefinder system for the Wehrmacht WWII Panther tank. I
appreciate that it would not appeal to all. This issue also contains a
comparison of the 1950's 85/1,5 lenses for Leica, Nikon and Canon, and the
prototype Leicameter D, a digital meter intended to succeed the Leicameter
MR for the M4. And it also offered Roy Moss' article on Leica Technique and
Tips, this one entitled: "VIVA DARKROOM! Digital or Wet, It's the Image That
Counts" by our lamented late friend, Roy Moss, past president and past
VIEWFINDER editor-in-chief,  Ed Schwarzreich's review of Digilux 1 and Dick
Gilcreast's "Leica Review" of the new Leica R9, the 21-35mm f/3,5-4
Vario-Elmar-R ASPH and the 90mm f/2 APO-Summicron-R ASPH. The same issue has
a Performance Comparison of the Leica 28mm Elmarit Lenses and a Survey of
Pre Model IIIc Luftwaffe Leicas.

There have been regular articles on the Cosina/Voigtlander (damn, my umlaut
doesn't work!) gear, on Bessa cameras and lenses, articles on how to put
together an (relatively) inexpensive Leica outfit. In fact, VIEWFINDER has
stuff for almost everyone interested in photography.

The meeting is in St. Louis, Missouri, from October 23-26, 2003. There will
be photo tours, programs and talks on various aspects of Leica photography
(among the speakers are Sherry Krauter, Jim Lager and Brian Bower), a
display by Leica USA of current Leica equipment, meal functions and the
annual membership meeting.

We have determined to charge a slightly higher registration fee for non-LHSA
members as some of the meal functions are in part supported financially by
the Society. Naturally the annual members' business meeting is for members
only and non-members will not participate in the raffle (several prizes
including a black paint M6TTL (0.58 viewfinder) with 35/2 ASPH Summicron, a
new Leica MP body and a new Leica D-Lux) and cannot attend the Sunday
members' Trade Fair.

Of course, a LUG member who is not an LHSA member will be able to become a
member in St. Louis, pay the members' normal registration fee and enjoy all
of the benefits of an attending member, including the raffle and Trade Fair.
I should have mentioned that members are invited to submit slides (in
advance) and to bring prints for display.

Information about the Annual Meeting is available on the LHSA website and
one can become a member on-line; go to www.lhsa.org.

I truly hope to meet many of you face-to-face in St. Louis this October. I
know that those of you who can come will have a fun few days. Not only might
you learn a bit, you will doubtless help us to learn as well.

Best to you all,

Seth           LaK 9