Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Summitar Question
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:58:31 -0400

Hello Karen, Don and Jack:

> Karen,
> Yes, that is a good price for a mint Summitar.

..........'tis indeed.

> As to the lens, it is a very fine performer as others have noted.

..........'tis indeed.

> Probably as sharp as modern glass but without the bite.

..........visual sharpness is a subjective, not an objective standard; it is
the impression that a (photographic) image creates. On the contrary,
contrast and resolution are measurable objectively. The Leica "glow" that
photographers using older Leitz lenses refer to results in part from the
lower edge contrast of those lenses, as distinguished from the high contrast
design standard of later Leica and other major lens manufacturers. It is
exactly this higher contrast, especially at full aperture, that yields the
"bite" of modern lenses.

Therefore it would not be correct to say that the Summitar, whose contrast
is quite low compared to the DR/Rigid Summicron let alone the current
version, is as sharp as modern lenses. That said, they still produce
wonderful images and, flare aside, in b+w photography, to a greater or
lesser extent contrast can be controlled in the darkroom - assuming anyone
goes there anymore! or in photoshop.

> I believe the
> Summicron is better in the field and not as good in the center.

Not. I have in my hand the Leica MTF charts for the Summitar and the
DR/Rigid Summicron. There is no point on-axis or in the field, at the four
frequencies (5, 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm) and at the four stops f/2 - f/5,6 where
the performance of the DR/Rigid does not exceed that of the Summitar.

All of which is interesting theory. In practice and in real-world
photgraphic use, the Summitar still will produce great photographs, as it
did for many years in the hands of great Leica photographers, and still
does.

> Others have noted the need for a hood.  >

Very useful to reduce flare. Jack, I have the SOOFM "barndoor" hood; it fits
both Summitar and Summicron and, in fact, the hood itself is engraved
"Summitar u.(nd) Summicron."

> 2) So what's the consensus on this lens? I know that it was
> reformulated for the Summicron but peering at the Hove book at
> National Camera, the MTF curves seem pretty similar.  I'm hoping that
> it has a "classic" look.  I like my sharp, modern aspheric lenses,
> but I love the lower-contrast, higher-resolution of older lenses and
> hope that this one has the "look."

It has the "look" in spades! Karen, you'll love it.

Seth           LaK 9