Subject: [Leica] 2nd Version Elmarit on Canon digital SLRs
From: Cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:22:00 +0800

Hi Luggers,
I have been following the discussion of using Leica R lenses on Canon
digital cameras with interest as I have done some experimenting in
this area myself. In brief, the 2nd version Elmarit will fit
(tightly) on a Canon D60 and focus without fouling the return mirror.
The 28 Elmarit R, the 35 Summicron R, the 50 Summilux R and the 100
Macro APO (all latest ROM editions) will work without a problem. On
the Canon EOS 3 the 19 Elmarit will not work - it fouls the mirror
but, to my surprise the 50 Summilux does fit and clears the mirror.
Also the 21 - 35 zoom works on the D60 with no problem. From my
experience I believe what works on the D60 would also work on the 10D
- - as the cameras have the same size return mirror. What won't work on
an EOS 3 won't work on a 1Ds either as both units have larger
mirrors. See Andrew Nementh's site for a more thorough discussion on
these questions.

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/002f.shtml

Howard
Hong Kong
PS Apologies to the people that I have contacted privately for
repeating this message to the lUG