Subject: RE: [Leica] god help me...but God isn't available right now, Jack
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:23:13 -0400

Jack,
My advice is in the following order,
90 APO Summicron, this is a stupendous lens
90 Elmarit, latest version.  Just as good as the Summicron, just slower
90 Elmar C, this lens is really quite good, just an F4

If sorted by price then it would be Elmarit, Elmar, and APO Summicron.

Obviously, if sorted be size, then it would be Elmarit, Elmar, and
Summicron.  I confess that I really don't get along with slow lenses.

If you opened the gates to some non Leitz lenses then I would look at
the 85 Canon F2 LTM and the 85 Nikkor F2 LTM.  Both are very fine
performers and the Canon can be obtained under $200 with a little work.

You ask, well, what do you own?  90 Summicron, latest Elmarit, 90 Elmar
C, 85 Canon, Jupiter whatever at 85mm.  I have run several rolls of the
90 APO but just won't let go of my 75 Summilux and the others are so
good by F4 that I just don't see the point for me.

Well, what do I use?  Mostly, I use the Elmarit.  For portraits I will
pick up the Canon or more likely the Summilux.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] god help me...but God isn't available right now, Jack)