Subject: Re: [Leica] how to pack for fed-ex?
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:56:49 -0500

>i shipped my bodies in a lowepro omni trekker/extreme,
>which is a padded camera case within a pelican hard case.
>everything was snugly fit and i tucked in some extra dividers on top of
>the bodies for good measure, and waved goodbye to my gear a week
>ago monday.

Rei -

The Pelican might have contributed to the problem. When somone drops
a hard case, the contents of the case then slam against the case
walls, causing damage.

I'm sure some of the MDs on this list could show graphic MRIs of
cerebral damage caused when the brain sloshes against the cranium in
a motor vehicle accident.

If you're going to use a hard case, you should go like the pros and
have it inserted with hard foam. I just had some Zero Halliburtons
refoamed and the cost was about $20-40 per case, depending on the
size. You want about 2-3 inches of hard foam between the side of the
case and your equipment.

Or, another option would have been to pack the case like you did, but
then put the entire shebang into a large cardboard box filled with
styrofoam peanuts. Doubleboxing is  an excellent way to prevent
mischief.

Karen

- --
Karen Nakamura