Subject: Re: [Leica] how to pack for fed-ex?
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:27:24 -0500

Your TO DO list is the start of a good one. I would encourage you to
invest in bubble wrap. Wrap each piece of gear in it then pack that in
such a way as to remove all possibility of movement in the box. Those
messy packing peanuts work well for this but be sure you 'shake down'
the box and add peanuts to allow for any settling that will surely occur
during shipping. Overstuffing the box a bit with peanuts can help ensure
things won't move and bang around once the box leaves you.

Put a 3 inch layer of peanuts on the box bottom, add your bubble wrapped
(and boxed pieces) with peanuts between them, add another 3 inches of
peanuts and add more pieces of gear as needed to complete the packing.
You might want to make yourself a note on the inside of the box lid so
you know how many items are packed in that box...so none get tossed with
the peanuts.

The biggest thing about packing well for shipping is to AVOID
movement...use whatever you can find to stuff the box tightly...and be
sure no items rest unprotected against the side of the box. Each item
needs to have a pocket of at least 2" of peanuts around it to absorb
shock. Those ubiquitous plastic bags from the grocery and Wal-Mart are
good space fillers after a good bubble wrap job.

When you've finished packing the box give it a good, hard shake (trust
me, no matter how hard you shake it you'll be gentler than the shipper
will be). If you can feel or hear ANY motion, open the box and add more
stuffing of peanuts or bubblewrap or plastic bags.

Bummer on your misfortune. Hopefully some of these tips will help you in
the future.
Lea