Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: calibration (WAS: Nathan's PAW 33: On the rollercoaster)
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:34:45 -0400

Calibration will help because it will set set your monitor to a known
standard color rendition

If it's grey on your (calibrated) monitor, it will be gray on any other
calibrated monitor (like mine).

Currently it's grey on your monitor but a weird green on mine (and
therefore it's green when viewed in an industry-standard color space...
which is roughly what most people's monitors, even uncalibrated ones,
should be set to).

You can be confident that anyone viewing your pictures on a calibrated
monitor will see what you are seeing and you give those with
uncalibrated monitors your best shot.

What you have done is called a 'closed-loop' calibration where you
match one piece of equipment to another rather than matching them both
to a known standard. This is fine if you never want to share your
pictures but if you do then you get exactly the problem which you saw
here.

I used Pantone OptiCal and the Spyder, which is great for both LCDs and
CRTs

To convert to sRGB in Photoshop 6, assuming that it's not already your
working space (which it shouldn't be!) you select

	image > mode > convert to profile...

then choose sRGB.

When you save as a JPEG, check 'embed color profile' in the 'save'
dialog (it's at the bottom).

You should not save the original image with the sRGB profile, but
revert to whatever your regular working space is.

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:42 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> John,
>
> How is calibration in itself going to help here? In fact, my monitor is
> calibrated in the sense that I am able to print and more or less match
> what
> I see on the screen (which does not have a green cast). How do I
> convert the
> profile into sRGB, and how do I embed the profile in the JPEG (I use
> PS 6)?
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com