Subject: [Leica] RE: Congrats...and welcome Feli.
From: "Garrettson, Dr. Charles" <CGARRET@thehill.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:22:00 -0400

Hi Feli. I thoroughly enjoyed your post re your new Noct. Congrats on
finding one and welcome to the Noct experience. It was really a pleasure
to see that you are enjoying what is so distinctive and so special about
that lens. Yes, it is an absurd amount of money to spend on a lens that
only provides 1-2 f/stops more than the more rational/obvious options,
is [relatively] large and heavy, does not compare to a 50mm Summicron
from f2.8 on out, et cetera, et cetera, blah blah blah, et al, et
al...but, on the other hand, if you find yourself shooting in
low/available light a great deal of the time, as I do and always have,
and expect I always will, the Noct on an M body has to be the ultimate
means of rendering usable, if not outstanding results from otherwise
ridiculous conditions. I must confess: last winter, in an obviously weak
moment, I seriously considered selling my Noct and getting the 50mm
Summicron. Thankfully, I had a wedding to shoot at that time. The
reception was in a beautiful, Gothic/medieval-designed hall, and the
couple had hired a company just to do the lighting, which was incredibly
beautiful, distinctive, thoughtful, impressive and which could not be
captured with flash. I shot a great deal of that scene, using the Noct
extensively, and wide open, and the results, thankfully, brought me back
to my senses. I vowed never to make such a consideration again.

Enjoy...

Chuck Garrettson