Subject: Re: [Leica] My kind of digital M camera - Ye Olde Time Macs
From: Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:23:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Mike Durling wrote:

   I guess i was thinking of transistor radios, but there were portable am
   radios before transistors, but not before Leicas of some kind.

The first portable transistor radio, dates to 54 or 55 if I remember
correctly. It was a great deal smaller than the huge tube portables,
that needed 2 batteries, one low voltage for the tube filaments, and a
high voltage battery to do the business of the radio. The first
transistor radio, cost a small fortune for its day. Remember early
transistors were quite expensive.

   mike d