Subject: Re: [Leica] My kind of digital M camera - Ye Olde Time Macs
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:36:27 -0700

No way. Appletalk via Ethernet is still too chatty, slow and has no
ability to connect with anything other than other Macs doing Appletalk.

Straight Ethernet is clearly superior. Even if in OS 9 you have to type
in the other computer's IP address, it's better than Appletalk. You can
connect to PCs, Macs, UNIX workstations, whatever has sharing turned
on. With TCP/IP and SMB or DAVE, macs are much better network citizens.
And if OS X is on the network, Appletalk slows things down.

OS X only has Appletalk to support OS9 clients using it. And Appletalk
is verboten on my employer's network for these very reasons.

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 11:06  AM, Henning Wulff wrote:

> That applies to Appletalk over Localtalk, not Appletalk over Ethernet.
> Appletalk over Ethernet, especially the high speed flavours is still
> quite competitive.

Eric
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.jphotog.com

"Clichés are like analogies. At the end of the day, you're just beating
a dead horse"