Subject: [Leica] what;s in a name?
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:50:19 EDT

I am quoting here one of the sillier things I've ever seen mentioned ont his
list, which is a real stretch considering what some of this list's subscribers
have come up with over the years.

The difference between "prosumer" and"pro-am" is tweedle dum and tweedle dee,
as is the previous discussion on what is a "real" leica. It is all semantics
and differences in your own minds, nothing to do with reality. No regulatory
agency assigns these names, so they are entirely of your own defining, which
makes the whole thing subjective and, therefor, a waste of argument.

You can lay out some simple guidelines, however

A "pro" camera is any camera used by a pro, is it not? That means if a pro
needs a pinhole camera to get a shot, he finds a shoebox and some foil and makes
himself a "pro" pinhole camera. If Leica wants to sell a shoebox with a red
dot and a bit of foil and call it a "Leica" then it is.

Whether it is a Leica you would choose to buy is something else again. But to
know whether it is or is not a "pro" Leica pinhole means you need to know in
whose hands it is to be used, do you not?

just my 2 cents.

c trentelman
owner of many amateur Leica cameras,  several nice pinhole cameras and a
"pro" Parker pen ( I write for a living).

In a message dated 8/24/03 12:54:32 AM,