Subject: RE: [Leica] nightclub advice
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:05:57 -0400

Simon,
Depending on what is wanted, performers, audience, or ambiance, I would
take three fast lenses.  Why fast you ask, well sometimes the picture
you want is in the darkest hole that has never seen a candle.  So, a 28
to 35, your Noct, and a 90 to 135.  If you have really good access then
the 15 might bring home some interesting shots.

I would recommend Neopan 1600 but if you don't have any then the 3200
that you are used to will work especially if down rated to 1600 for some
shadow detail.  If you can and want to shoot color then Fuji Press 800
would be a great choice.

Lighting tends to be very hot; spots then nothing so take care and meter
what you want to come out.  If the light is coming directly from
overhead then watch what happens to the eye sockets: you will have to
shoot when their head and eyes turn into the light or change your
position accordingly.

Last, see if you can find a position that juxtaposes the musician(s) and
the audience.  Play with exposure to find the best story with the
lighting you have.

Oh, really last, enjoy the show.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com