Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Speed Selector
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:20:09 -0400

Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 8:10 PM

> Well, to some people it does mater, so let us answer Gary's question.
>
> All M series Leicas through what is known as the "M-6 Classic" have
> shutter speed dials which go from one second to 1/1000 second by turning
> the dial clockwise...that is, clockwise while looking down at the top of
> the dial with the lens pointed out.  In the M-6 TTL and the M-7, the
> shutter speed dial was increased in size and the direction one turned
> the dial was reversed so that one went from one second to 1/1000 second
> by turning the dial anticlockwise.  Now, stick with me here.  With the
> advent of the MP, Leica has gone back to the M-6 Classic and earlier
> shutter speed dial size and configuration.
>
> Some...maybe even many...people think that the dial configuration on the
> M-6 TTL and M-7 was an improvement because the dial then turned in the
> direction indicated by the finder arrows to arrive at the correct
> exposure.  Some, maybe even many people...I included...do not feel that
> this is important.  Everyone must judge this matter for her or himself.
> The same goes for having two bodies in which the shutter speed dials
> turn in opposite directions, a factor upon which I cannot comment since
> I have never owned any body more advanced than an M-6 Classic.
>
> Buzz Hausner

Thank goodness I asked, I was thinking the change came with the M6 and was
changed back on the MP.  I almost had it right, but now I have to shell out
extra bucks for a TTL unless I can figure out how to be shutter
ambidextrous.  Or would that be shutter synchronous?  Asynchronous anyone?

<after five minutes of a streadily increasing headache>

Oww oww oww (moaning followed by the sensation of large animals tearing at
my wallet)...OUCH DAMN why did I go down this road to photographic
heaven/financial destruction anyway...it's just a box to control light,
correct?   I think I need a CL...but no wait, the frame lines are
40/50/90..how about friggin' Canon P.   Anybody got a problem with that?????

Gary