Subject: [Leica] Re: nightclub advice (now EV)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:22:01 -0700

At 02:01 PM 8/24/03 -0700, Sonny Carter wrote:
>I had the distinct impression, though it has been a while since I used one,
>that the Pentax spot meter reports an EV too, and you have to set it on the
>calculator wheel to derive the f stop and shutterspeed.

The Pentax meters, both analog and digital, do indeed read out in EV--if
your film is ISO 100.  At other ISO settings, the readout is just a
luminance scale where each whole number is a doubling or halving of the
light.  Setting the ISO scale on the calculator dial adds or subtracts the
needed amount.

My Minolta Spotmeter M can be set to read out in EV numbers.  I
occasionally use this when I'm checking brightness range, because it's just
simple subtraction to get the number of stops.  Usually I just set it to
tell me the right f/stop and shutter speed.

The nice thing about EV (or any whole-number meter scale), is that if you
don't want to think in terms of the square root of two or reciprocals, it
makes thinking about how many stops up or down you want very easy.  This
can be useful in macrophotography or long exposures where you're dealing
with multiple calculations plus reciprocity failure.  Do all the
calculations in EV, where you're just adding or subtracting.  Then use your
meter dial to turn the result into a shutter speed and f/stop.

I think the method many of us Leica people use, consciously or
unconsciously, is just to count "clicks" plus or minus the meter
reading.  Meter says 1/60 at f/4, but it's a Caucasian face, so I'll open
one.  Click.  Meter says 1/15 at f/2, but it's a shadow I want some detail
in.  Close down two.  Click, click.  The Leica as abacus.

Of course, if photographers called them "clicks," people might think we
were bicycle tourists or military people on maneuvers, or Simon stocking up
his game fighter jet with virtual ordinance.  So we call them "stops."

- --Peter