Subject: [Leica] El Corcho
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:05:16 -0400

LUGnuts:

I thought you might be interested in a little more information about the
community where I stayed this summer.  El Corcho is in the mountains in the
Lempira district of Honduras, Northwest of the capital about 6 hours by
jeep and then 3 hours by foot (in the rainy season when the road is
gone).  I've put up a photo of the house where I stayed.  The first
building is the kitchen where I made most of my photos because the one-room
house behind it (where the family of 11 sleeps) has no windows!!  It is
pitch-black dark inside all day except for the light that filters through
the wood shingles.  This community is unique because all of the 15 or so
houses have wood shingled roofs.  The pine beetle has killed most of the
pines in the area and it is against the law to cut pine trees; therefore,
the farmers cannot re-roof their houses.  The shingles last about 5 years
before they rot in the humidity and they also provide perfect breeding
places for the chagas bug, a parasite which causes a fatal heart
disease.  With the help of Heifer Project International we were able to
raise enough money ($1500) to replace all of the wood shingle roofs in the
community with tin roofs.  The farmers did all of the work themselves to
replace the roofs. So these are the last photos of the houses with wood
shingle roofs.

http://www.leica-gallery.net/tinamanley/image-51063.html

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP