Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:00:29 -0700 (PDT)

My initial response to the cover photo was that it's too good to be true... and now come the disclaimers: I know very little about this particular species of kingfisher and even less about mayflies aside from being glad there aren't any around here.  However I've often observed North American kingfishers and I've photographed the occasional bird.

The kingfisher species I'm familar with don't skim the water's surface as the one in the photo is shown doing.  I've only seen kingfishers dive headfirst into the water to catch stuff below the surface, so this part of the analysis of the photo makes sense to me, and the rest of the analysis is at least plausible.  Given my gut level 'too good to be true' reaction to the photo I'm very willing to believe it was staged with a stuffed bird.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com