Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Possibility - was: Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:49:44 -0400

Doug writes:

> The kingfisher species I'm familar with don't skim the water's surface as the one in the photo is shown doing.  I've only seen kingfishers dive headfirst into the water to catch stuff below the surface, so this part of the analysis of the photo makes sense to me, and the rest of the analysis is at least plausible.   Given my gut level 'too good to be true' reaction to the photo I'm very willing to believe it was staged
> with a stuffed bird.
>

> Doug Herr

I am inclined to think it may have been one of those 1 in 10,000 shots that we get every now and then.  It is quite possible that the mayfly shown rising out of the water was not the kingfisher's intended target.  Perhaps the kingfisher had just completed an unsuccessful head-first, wings folded dive to pluck an emerging mayfly off the water, and missed. Then, as it came back out of the water, and in it's first several wing-beats just a few inches off the surface, and a foot or two from the original dive point, it sees another mayfly emerging. He turns his head to look, opens his mouth to say Hot-Damn there's another one, and the cameraman, with his human reaction time and the camera with it's lag time and mirror flip time gets the shot. Remember, the Canon 1V has that amazing auto-follow-focus capability.

I think it was a lucky shot and the nature researchers are just mad cause they never get that kind of shot.

Regards, Paul Connet