Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta XG-1 -- was (slightly on-topic?)
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:10:26 -0400

John writes:

> Over the weekend, I purchased a $5 US camera at an antique shop locally. It
> turned out to be a Minolta XG1 with 50/2.0 lens. The batteries were shot so
> I replaced them with what I thought was a good match for
> the originals and
> it works fine (even meters well). << Big Snip >>

Hi John, I looked for someone's answer to your question and did not see one, so: the XG-1 takes 1.5 volt silver-oxide batteries. The alkaline bateries you put in it will go downhill very rapidly and will soon be giving you bad meter readings. Change to silver-oxide batteries and you will have a fine manual focusing camera with the same exposure capabilities as the newest Leica M7, plus the capability to do macro work without a Visoflex.  Enjoy your $5 camera.

Regards, Paul Connet