Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:58:20 -0400

bdcolen wrote:
> Right. I think they are talking stuffed bird/dead bug. Which, in some
> ways, is really pretty funny when you think about it. Very Saturday
> Night Live.
>
> I have to say I have never understood the Nat Geo. Photo mystique. Yes,
> many outstanding photographers have worked for the magazine over the
> years. Yes, they expend tens of thousands of dollars on assignments and
> consume entire warehouses full of film. But to produce what?
>
> B. D.

I was a long-time subscriber to National Geographic but cancelled my
subscription this past year for two reasons. First, I feel that the
quality of the pictures in the magazine has declined dramatically over
the past number of years. I can't put my finger on when it happened, but
over the past decade there has been a definite deterioration. Second,
the despicable behavior of NG management toward their photographers
tipped the balance.

I've replaced the NG with a subscription to Arizona Highways, which has
top quality photography and writing. To those who think that this
publication isn't of general interest to those outside Arizona, I
suggest you check out an issue.

Unlike NG, which often sat on the coffee table unread, I read every
issue of Arizona Highways cover to cover. It is really an excellent
publication, photographically and otherwise.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014