Subject: Re: [Leica] Some Summitar pictures
From: "John Evensta" <jevensta@plateautel.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:16:08 -0600

Phong wrote:

> I wasn't sure of the intention of the following photos,
> and they seem weak compared to the other ones.
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/je/image-51281.html
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/je/image-51282.html
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/je/image-51283.html

Phong:

I agree that 51282, especially, is certainly weak (besides being tilted).
This girl was sitting on her father's shoes, which would have made a very
nice picture.  She was very shy though, and when I approached and asked if I
could take a picture or two, she went over to her mother and turned away.
So I instead took some pictures as her mother guided her through some
purchase.

BTW, your recent offerings are very impressive.  I have found that the
Photoshop "Lightness" channel (copied to a new document) in the "Lab color"
mode is a good B/W conversion tool, especially for outdoor skin tones.  It
seems to provide good highlights and contrast (like yellow - 50/50/0 or
40/40/10 R/G/B in "Channel Mixer" checking "Monochrome") and also good
shadow and skin tone detail (like yellow-green - about 37/53/10 R/G/B). (The
default "Grayscale" mode is equivalent to 30% red, 59% green, and 11% blue
in "Channel Mixer".)

John