Subject: Re: [Leica] re: gun balderdash & photos - Stalin and the Long March, (also Ancient Astronomy)
From: "John Evensta" <jevensta@plateautel.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:40:16 -0600

> The Long March that epic, 6000 mile, one year
> journey that Mao led, sometimes compared to Moses
> leading his chosen people...

Mao and Moses?   I agree that the Chinese suffering during WWII was immense.
Ten million civilian deaths eclipses that of any other nation or ethnic
group (the twenty million Russian deaths were predominately combat deaths at
critical junctures as the Battle of Stalingrad).  But Mao's vision and
certainly his legacy was and is hardly a benevolent one.  It condoned the
deaths of probably a million Tibetans, the deforestation of their
countryside, millions more dead during the early 60's (many from starvation
due to economic policies), and a state that continues to be repressively and
fervently secular.

John Evensta

Replies: Reply from "Jack Herron" <jherron@theriver.com> (Re: [Leica] re: gun balderdash & photos - Stalin and the Long March, (also Ancient Astronomy))