Subject: Re: [Leica] Not quite PAW, but please could you take a look
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:57:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/03 4:56:30 AM, simon@camera-craftsman.com writes:

<< Point taken about looking
directly into the camera, however, I am going to respectively disagree
this time.  For me, it is the eye contact that makes the picture.  I
wouldn't want a picture of my hemiplegic aunt in a nursing home with
her appearing to stare into space.  That would be a terribly lonely
picture.  It would probably be one that a person with more emotional
distance could, and perhaps should take.  But not her nephew.

Simon Stevens. >>
Simon,

I think Ted was referring to engrossed interest. That isn't looking into
space. That's a form of mental concentration or expectation that would be visible
in the portrait. You still don't want your aunt to stare into the lens. It's
you she's looking at and relating to, which is the overall point Ted is making.

br