Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:35:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/03 7:46:16 AM, eric@jphotog.com writes:

<< Their problem is they think TV is more important than print, and don't
want to spend as much money on print as they used to. The very people
who made them what they were are getting short-shrift because
bean-counters are counting the wrong beans. You can bet every person in
that building working in the print division of National Geographic has
to justify their existence, unlike the folks over in the "golden boy"
TV division. >>

Print is no longer sovereign. NG is in the electronic media business because
there is where their readers are now.
And that has an effect on editing and content and presentation and timing. NG
is run by a society, not a commercial organization, but they like to meet
their expenses. There's dead wood in any business -- mostly at the top. Other
people do the hard work. In the transition from traditional publication to open
ended media, a lot of slap dash stuff gets thrown in by very shallow or
inexperienced people. There was a time when quality publishing was a gentleman's
pastime. Well, friends, I will forget it all when I climb aboard an Amtrak for a
leisurely 19th century overnight sleeper journey to San Francisco during
October. I'll take my CL.

br