Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:10:59 -0700

This is such a wrong response. The fact that this always comes out and
bites the photographer in the butt is pretty good evidence that overall
news photos can be trusted to portray mostly what they say they do.
News photographers police each other. Well, kind of the opposite,
because of instead of a code of silence where they cover for each
other, they have a code of you will be exposed if caught. And most of
the time, when you are caught, you lose you job, and nobody but some
little hack publication will hire you. And because of that, I find news
photos can pretty much be trusted.

It has NOTHING to do with digital. Photos were faked before digital
came along. As the wise man said ( and I've quoted enough!) "The camera
doesn't lie - photographers lie." And liars get caught. News
photographers care too much to let some hack ruin their credibility. So
when we find them, we shout loud and long.

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 09:21  AM, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> . Frankly, I'll never look
> at a news shot now and totally believe it. Journalism is paying a
> heavy price
> for digital agility.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

'Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"  - Tom Clancey