Subject: Re: [Leica] lagavullin
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:19:13 -0700

On two occasions I've had to buy extra luggage while in Edinburgh on
business trips just to carry the hootch home. Wm. Cadenhead's shop is a
short walk down High Street from my regular hotel - convenient... too
convenient.  I don't actually drink that much of the good stuff, just a wee
dram now and again; but it's really nice to be able to pick and choose when
the mood strikes. Whisky is my favorite ETOH vehicle no doubt.  The water of
life as they say.

The "good stuff" is just not available here in the states (and that includes
the generic Lagavulin et al that many Americans believe are the apex of
single malt whiskys).  Most of what is available here is tweaked with grain
alcohol or H20 and/or mixed with other batches/casks/ages of whisky to make
it conform to US standards and conformity of taste and color.

That said: US store bought Lagavulin is OK.... very OK actually, just not -
in my humble opinion - the "best".

cheers
Jack McLain
Tucson, AZ