Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:11:47 -0700

I spent a lot of time talking to several National Geographic
photographers back when I was a student at Missouri from '85 to '88.
Jim Stanfield took nine months to shoot the story in Israel and about a
year shooting at the Vatican. Those stories both ran in 1984 and were
shot a couple years before that. It was right about the mid-80s when
the numbers started getting cut pretty severely. Stories were cut to
several months on average. And when RIch Clarkson was the director of
photography it was still taking two years to get a story from shooting
to print. Of course, they want to be more timely now, so they cut that
time down. I don't think that's a problem, timely is good. They just
have to plan well so they don't end up a story short one month.

And since then like you say they are given a month or so. A month is
not nearly long enough for the comprehensive nature of the stories that
they do. They were getting it right when they were taking six to nine
months and shooting  a thousand rolls of film. And there's no reason
they still can't do that, except some bean counters don't consider
quality important enough. And there's no reason why they still couldn't
do stories like that.

But it would seem nobody appreciates doing things right any more. But
then why should they be any different than the rest of the world, where
the only thing that counts is money?