Subject: Re: [Leica] Mac vs. Windows
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:35:13 -0700

Please, stop with the FUD!

OS X is in large part open source. It runs APACHE WEB SERVER! That's
OPEN SOURCE!!!!! BSD UNIX - open source. Java is standard and
cross-platform. Networking is open source. It's Kerberos is open
source! It's standard graphics format is PDF! Audio is MPEG-4.

Get it?

Windows is proprietary. Java proprietary and Windows-only. IIS Web
Server - Proprietary. Kerberos Proprietary.  Networking - Open Source -
lifted wholesale from BSD UNIX.

I used to serve my web pages off my home G4 in OS X and Apache and I
never noticed any performance hit whatsoever. Not that my site was
high-traffic. But my computer served up the web pages very quickly,
even when I was running some heavy duty Photoshop filters and such.
Graphics is BMP. Audio os WMF. Proprietary.

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 11:32  PM, Jeff S wrote:

> That's okay DDavid; I catch flak from the Denver Leica
> gang for my ambivalence about OS X: I get particularly
> grumpy when called upon to use it for for say, serving
> up web pages or an ftp site--not a good use for this
> rather pricey hardware and proprietary OS, IMO.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.  - Will
Rogers.