Subject: Re: [Leica] Computer question
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:45:12 EDT

dennis@hale-pohaku.com writes:

> You are right about Win98 patches still available. It seems MS has extended
> the "life"
>  of Win98 though it looks like it's mostly security fixes.
>
>  Find out when your support "ends" here;
>
>  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx
- -----------------------------------
Dennis,

It seems that MS supports OS's for about 6 years. That's a lot better than
Apple's
track record. W98 expires this November, according to the above page. They
figure that most consumers will replace their computers within that time. Which
I won't.
Why should I. My Dell R450 is hitting 800+, the first of the gigabyte models.
I wonder whether MS knows how many folks are still using W98? I assume there
are  lots of us. W98 has some blind spots, but overall it's still viable. It
runs Photoshop and works well with digital cameras. And all new peripherals are
written for it. It still has a lot in common with W-XP.

br