Subject: Re: [Leica] Computer question
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:11:45 -0700

But even if you create Photoshop for Linux, you have to add all sorts
of functions in the OS to support pre-press and other graphics
professionals. And Linux isn't anywhere near ready to do that. All the
time, OS X is growing in its capabilities in that line.

In fact the next version of OS X is going to make some major advances.
The best color management, built-in PDF generation (and the ability to
optimize the size of PDF files) and Applescript gains many of the
capabilities of graphics utilities to convert files, embed profiles,
resize, rotate, and do all sorts of things to photos - all without any
external program. Add Photoshop to that and you have a compelling
platform for anyone interested in any aspect of digital photography in
terms of performance, quality and productivity whether they use film or
not.

Adobe has no plans to support Linux at this point. They probably don't
appreciate GIMP any more than they liked Apple doing Final Cut Pro. Oh,
and Quark never got to the point that they weren't going to do an OS X
version of their main application. They just waited a long time, and
took their time getting it done. They didn't realize how fast people
wanted to migrate (which is too slow, but faster than they thought it
would happen.) And that process did help Adobe. InDesign is much more
popular than people figured would happen. I switched!

I don't see how people who can appreciate the craftsmanship of Leicas
can't see just how similar OS X and Macs are on those terms in
comparison to PCs and Windows, AND Linux. I have been a long-time PC
user. And a long-time Mac user professionally. There is no way I'd ever

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 07:47  AM, Ken Firestone wrote:

> You don't! You call on Adobe, and ask them for Linux versions of their
> products.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com