Subject: Re: [Leica] New photos/Arbus/Sontag
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:12:58 -0700

Luc Bourgeois offered:
re: New photos/Arbus/Sontag

>>> Ted, do you often comment on books you were unable to read? It's not
> very credible criticism.<<<

Luc mon ami,
No, because I rarely have a book I don't finish. And your opinion of
Sontag's writings are OK by me, that's your prerogative. However, so are my
opinions about her, as I perceive it,  absolute drivel about photography and
it's doing it.

Possibly our differences of opinion are due to our degree of experience as
working photographers, maybe not. Then again it might be due to education,
yours not mine. I've never been one to sit around and read, then tell people
what I've learned. My life has been spent "doing photography and learning
through those experiences."

And it is with this, that I sometimes come down hard fisted about what I
consider "photographic drivel" by so called experts who are not experienced
photographers.

Which in reading Sontag's nonsense has nothing to do with being a real
working photojournalist.

This topic has all the markings of becoming a three week long, never-ending
log of "agree-disagree" postings. So before it deteriorates to further waste
of time, may I suggest to all, we call a truce and accept that each of us is
right and leave it at that?

I believe the saying is, "We'll agree to disagree." And leave it at that.
Thank you.

ted