Subject: Re: [Leica] Gun control
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:23:55 -0600

frank theriault wrote in part:

>I'm not sure what the point of your article is.  If it's that gun controls actually
>increase murder rates, property crimes, and the crime rate in general, then you're
>wrong.

Well Frank, I don't know about elsewhere, but the asinine one billion
dollar Gun Registry (i.e. Gun Control) boondoggle that was recently
imposed upon the 99% law abiding gun owners in Canada by the most recent
estimate has created over one half million new criminals west of the
Ontario border alone. People in rural areas and smaller centres in
Western Canada use guns to legally hunt, for varmint control on their
farms and ranches or simply for target practice or to shoot skeet. Many
native Canadians, Metis and some rural peoples' use firearms in this
country to put food on their table.

This new Gun Registry has not  proven to save a single life, reduce
crime in any measurable way and it certainly has not keep illegal guns
out of the hands of violent criminals who aren't going to register their
guns and would never have legally obtained a gun permit under the
previously stringent laws on hand guns and other conceal able firearms.

It is considered by most Canadians, gun owners or not, as the single
largest waste of one billion dollars ever made in Canada and that is
saying something in a country which has been run since the days of
Lester Pearson by a revolving cast of clowns. Same damn circus,
different clowns!

There is no question that access to hand guns and certain other firearms
needs to be regulated and restricted. Firearms within someone's home
need to be properly stored and locked away with ammunition locked away
in a separate location, but we had all of that long in place in Canada
and it is and was working as intended. Large cities would be wise to
seriously restrict or ban outright the ownership and storage of certain
firearms within their city limits and I believe most people would
support these type of measures but the Canadian Gun Registry is nothing
but an incredibly expensive joke being paid for by the very people who
don't want it!

BTW, here in Alberta far and away knives and not guns are the weapon of
choice in bar fights, streetlights and domestic violence. If every gun
and knife in the country was to disappear in an instant people would use
clubs, rocks and hockey sticks when they intended to harm someone.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Gun control)
Reply from Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Gun control (now international relations))