Subject: Re: [Leica] Medical PR
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:36:48 -0700

B.D.

As budget cuts and staff cuts occur at TV stations and newspapers, this
will only get worse an worse. I don't have much hope for the profession
of journalism to improve until the who country takes a swing back the
other direction of owners feeling some responsibility to not only make
boat-loads of money (as they do like almost no other industry this side
of drug dealing) but to actually serve a tiny bit of public service by
actually doing a good job. (Not in this generation of business people!)

I never had much respect for most TV news. Al Franken has them pegged.

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 10:58  AM, bdcolen wrote:

> That may be true, Eric, but as one who works in pharma PR, I can tell
> you that t.v. stations all over the country routine use "video news
> releases" AS IS, with local 'talent' perhaps providing a setup line.
> Same thing with RNR, radio news releases. And while you are absolutely
> spot on about what newspaper ethics should be, you'd be amazed the
> pickup "matt releases" - fully prepared 'news stories' that are dropped
> right into the paper - get.
Eric

Carlsbad, CA

"Going to war without France is like going
deer hunting without an accordion. All you
do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
- --- John and Alma Dunlap