Subject: Re: [Leica] Quebecois?
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:25:51 -0400

Oh, baby!

I lived in Montreal a long time ago, and you bring up memories.

Only one place for smoked meat, that's Schwartz' (Ben's, though more famous, is
not "old fashioned") on the Main (St. Lawrence Blvd).

Only two places for bagels, Fairmont and (even better) St. Viateur.  You have a
choice of two types of bagels, sesame seed, and poppy seed.  None of these
namby-pamby flavours!  And, you ~never~ ask for sesame or poppy, it's "white
seed" or "black seed".  They're made in a wood burning oven, and always warm.
One must eat one, straight from the bag, as one leaves the shop.  There may be a
line up at any time of the day or night (that's why they're fresh).  Amazing
place.

And, don't get me going on Montreal steamed hot dogs (otherwise known simply as
"steamies")  Gotta go to the Pool Room (also on St. Lawrence).  To ask for an
all dressed hot dog in Montreal French?  "Un 'Ot Dog, All-Dress".

Geez, I gotta get back to Montreal one day...

cheers,
frank

Jim McIntyre wrote:

> Montreal smoked meat on a Montreal Bagel, a slice of Oka cheese, washed down
> with a Brador beer. Follow up with a slice of sugar pie, and you're ready to
> burn a roll or two on your Leica (to stay on topic...)

- --
"Jazz is about capturing the moment"
- -Herbie Hancock

Message from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Quebecois?)