Subject: Re: [Leica] MP or M7, which one has better build quality
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:39:43 -0600

The M6 and M6TTL cameras -- and the original MP for that matter -- use
steel gears in the winding mechanism. These take a long long time to
wear in and smooth out. My first TTL, with more than 500 rolls through
it, is starting to feel as smooth as my M2. With the MP, Leica has used
machining techniques that allow steel gears to feel like the old brass
gears. While this results in an impressively smooth wind on, it does
not actually change the durability or potential longevity of the camera.

I cannot recall the actual figure but an M camera should be good for
about half a million exposures before it needs major work (not counting
CLAs). This translates into about 14,000 rolls of 36 exposure film.
Quite frankly, the thought of using a rewind knob for the 500+ rolls so
far. let alone the rest of the 14,000, is too much for me.

The improved viewfinder of the MP and the newer M7 is very helpful and
had me looking at replacing my much loved TTLs for that reason alone.
Now that Leica has made the MP improvements available to us mere mortal
M6 owners, I will just have my cameras upgraded. That way I get the
best of both worlds. An all mechanical, crank rewind camera with a long
service life and the best viewfinder in the world.

I do not dispute the fact that you are delighted with your MP. I hope
you will not dispute my preference for a rewind crank nor my advice
that, in terms of service life, the M6TTL will be just as good as the
MP.

John Collier