Subject: Re: [Leica] LC5 wide Attachment
From: "Michael Volow" <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:13:27 -0400

I too purchased the wide angle attachment for my Digilux 1 ( the one
intended
the Panasonic LC5 -- the Leica version, if it exists was unavailable). I
haven't tried it on the camera yet because the attachment that holds it to
the camera is still on back order.

However, I was unpleasantly surprised how huge it is. Bigger around (about
80mm) than most Leica M lenses! And heavy! Bigger and heavier than my 21/2.8
Aspheric. The size almost defeats the purpose of having a great (equivlent)
33-100mm/f2-2.5 walkaround camera.  How does its physical size compare to WA
attachments for other comparable digicams?

Plus the 0.8 smallification should change the equivalent 33mm wide end only
amodewst amount, to a 26mm WA (if my math is correct). This at a time when
the newest high end
noninterchangeable digicams are featuring 28mm wide ends (Minolta, soon to
be released Sony, ? others).

I have been thinking of sending it back. However, the pictures Neal posted
using this attachment are quite sharp. Am I being too hasty?