Subject: Re: [Leica] Xtol dilutions close to the edge.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 12:02:50 -0700

Don Dory wrote:

> Until last night I have been pretty careful to use 100ml stock solution
> per 36exp equivalent running Xtol at 1:3.  Last night I was faced with 6
> rolls of film after midnight with an early am delivery time for prints.
> Sooo, in went six rolls in an eight roll tank with whatever fit for
> 500ml stock and 1500ml water.
>
> The results at least for Neopan 1600 were very good.  Grain was tighter
> and smoother at the same time without that Microdol look.  Contrast was
> very good considering the standard one spot stage lighting.  I believe
> that I will try the Mark Rabinor dilution for Across to see if the
> results are the same for this film.
>
> Mark uses approximately 67mm stock per roll and has been praising this
> combination for several years.  Just don't add oxygen, or other trace
><Snip>

Don you may have to give it a few minutes at 67 mm more than 100mm mpr
(Mils per roll)
a couple of minutes. But the test is consistency and a few more minutes
that your normal giving you denser negs.
Personally I like that to happen.
Come to think of it some would not care.

I like to be not right at the edge but one step (N) in. N means contrast
grade; a concept i have to remember to remember as I'm doing split
printing and we don't think so much of "contrast" of, in, or by itself;
intrinsically - never more.

You might find that going from 100 to 67 most films need %10 but some
need %15.

I do find that at 1:2 there is barely an edge. 1:1 I think no edge. 1:3
Edge. Stright= Mush I say!!!

Lets not forget this is not a sharpness developer. It is a solvent developer.

So Max dilution helps. Unless we are working in bigger less grain and
edge effect dependent formats like sheet film 4x5 or even brownie film.

Microdol at 1:3 is interesting as hell developer but life's too short
for me at least on the times. Love that almost stained look. (really).

I have a filter on my line. A calumet $100 one with the filters you can
replace from the hardware store. Different strengths

Don -  when you print those prints they should look wow sharper because
of edge effects.

Each edge has it's effect. Check your Photoshop manual.
Dilution is the same but less of the hard stuff really in there for the
film to grab.
That is the technical explanation.

For development which is close to the edge. (Near extinction?).

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com