Subject: Re: [Leica] I've quit the Lika Leica club
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:59:58 -0700

Thanks for responding, Sonny.  I was a bit heartbroken about how it turned
out, as I really loved the way the LC5 shot and handled.  But for me, the
image quality issues outweighed everything else once I actually had the
camera and put it through its paces.

The LC5 is in some ways very Leica-like.  If they solve some of the
overprocessing, color accuracy and noise issues, put the f/stop and shutter
speed on the top LCD so you don't have to turn on the screen so much, and
keep the basic "feel" the same, I'd certainly consider an LC6 or Digilux 2
at a later date.

I know what you mean about transitional cameras.  As my wife points out to
me, there is no such thing as a perfect camera.  I sometimes drive myself
crazy wanting a nonexistent combination of several cameras.  I want the
shooting and focus speed and general feel of the LC5, the image quality and
live histogram of the Sony F-717, and the broad feature set of my Coolpix
990.  The latter is my "learn digital" camera, and I had hoped that the LC5
would be my digicam until somebody makes the digital camera I *really* want.

But like many who have expressed the desire this week, I'd really love to
see a digital M, or something M-like with the convenience of digital.

I just came back from a 5-day mini-vacation on the ocean coast of Vancouver
Island.  I took the M6TTL, 35 and 50 'Crons, and 1960s 90 Elmarit.  Plus my
Minolta Spot Meter M.  I am now doing a great job of avoiding scanning the
pictures, but the good ones will be posted eventually.

This very minimal outfit seemed awkward compared to the fellow on my
whale-watching trip who had a Sony F717.  All he needed was that one
camera.  I asked him how he liked it.  He told me that he owns a couple of
Nikon SLRs and several lenses.  But, he said, "Now that I have this (the
F717), everything else seems stupid."

Now, I suspect this guy doesn't play in the dark with Tri-X and Neopan
1600, or take unobtrusive candids like I do.  But for general use, that
Sony F717 is a very viable outfit, if you can tolerate the electronic
viewfinder. All in one package.  Sometimes zooms, digital convenience and
automation are not such bad things.

But then I see the quality I get from my Leica photos, and how small and
light my bag is compared to other system cameras, and I think, "Hey, I have
it pretty good."  So I'll continue to shoot my Leica M and occasionally my
Olympus OM-2, fool with the Coolpix 990, and see if the future will bring a
better digital camera that suits me.

Here's to the journey, and hopefully, to some good images along the way.

- --Peter