Subject: Re: [Leica] Dearest of companions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:08:58 -0700

Don Dory wrote:

> Well Jim,
> Snowshoe is just being a good pack member.  She is sharing and possibly
> trying to teach you to hunt.  Plus, your mouse population should be
> decreasing.
>
> I would praise her, but try to modify the behavior to drop the mouse
> outside.  Catch her with the mouse still in her mouth, pick her up, take
> her outside and reward her there. I was mostly lucky with my cats, they
> left dead offerings at the front door, although there was a time when my
> current cat would bring us ground squirrels.  So much fun to catch them
> again, and again, and again.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com

I read and believe there are two basic kinds of house cats in regard to hunting.

One: the kind which can hunt regular live animals. Pick a bird out of
the air.

Two: the kind which needs the animal to be wounded first; fluttering non
symmetrically. That was my cat. I never held it against her. I'd need a
head start too. But she because an in house house cat after a few years
when every cat in my entire street got hit by cars or poisoned i cant
figure out which. Probably the former. Hunting days were over. At least
in the real world.
I know for a fact Elmo chases rabbits every night in his sleep. This I
know as a fact.
I cant type because I'm growing my nails on my right hand for classical guitar.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com