Subject: Re: [Leica] Riefenstahl Dies
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:49:31 -0600

Thank you Johnny for saving me the trouble of having to state the
obvious.

You cannot judge people's past decisions wearing today's glasses. You
have to judge their decisions on what they knew at the time.
Anti-Semitism was very common in many countries of the world -- and
still is.

In the pre-war period, Nazi scientists were welcomed to my home
province of Alberta to see our eugenics program. The province of
Alberta routinely sterilized mentally and physically challenged people
without their permission. Remember that is where the Nazis started with
their mobile gas chambers: the mentally and physically challenged.
Perhaps we helped them along?

The famous boat load of German Jewish refugees, that was turned away in
so many countries, was also turned away from Canada. Our certifiably
insane Prime Minister, Mackenzie King, hated Jews with a passion.

I recommend the following diaries to anyone who is interested in this
subject:

I Will Bear Witness, A Diary of the Nazi Years by Victor Klemperer,
vol. one: 1933 to 1941, vol. 2: 1942-1945.

They record the everyday thoughts of a jewish man who is bitter about
lost job advancement and difficulties in building his house. It is
enlightening to see the casual splash of great events on a daily
humdrum tableau. He survived the war due to his war record and amazing
luck.

Does this mean you have to like Leni? Of course not! I disagree with
BD's reasoning but it is at least thought out.

John Collier