Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - War photographers and SPEAKING OF WAR PHOTOGRAPHERS
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:09:52 -0600

> What's fascinating is that about a year or so ago he had said he wasn't
> ever going to war again, and was devoting the rest of his photographic
> days to shooting his garden and other pastoral scenes. (And some of
> those images are in this book) But then came the Bushing of Iraq, and
> word was McCullin had gone back to war, with black and white film.

I think he spent time with the Kurds, who he had photographed before. I
heard from someone who had breakfast with him a few times in Iraq that he
felt like he couldn't come back with the sort of images he had done from
previous wars. He also apparently felt he was getting a bit old to get in
the middle of things.... he's got to be what 68? 70? (and on his third
wife - Marilyn Bridges and has a new child...)

tim

PS - I think that book is a re-print/new edition.