Subject: Re: [Leica] was a really smart Leica, now Viewing Filters
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:19:28 -0700

Hello Oliver,

That makes sense, especially for still work.  I do believe that the
person who suggested that director's viewers are Blue is correct,
having seen one.  That may stem from the majority of motion picture
lighting being daylight, (a very blue part of the spectrum) arcs and
dichoric filters over tungsten for fill.  I'm no photo-physist either.
either, just relying on my dimming memory.

Of course filters just remove colors or reduce their intensity. They
don't turn blue or brown into gray. A iewing filter helps you see what
tones a scene might look like in Black and white. But it doesn't
adjust for film type.  That has to be done in the head.

Sonny