Subject: [Leica] was a really smart Leica, now Viewing Filters
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:34:46 -0700

Mark, Calumet still sells the Zone VI Wratten #90 viewing filters, mounted
in discs with cutouts for 35mm, 4x5 or 6x6 aspect ratios. The discs - about
2 or 3 inches in diameter - are meant to be hung from the neck.
Sonny suggested that the color of the monochromatic viewing filter may not
matter. I remember from Ansel's class that the reason why the Wratten #90 is
used as a viewing filter is that it lets the eye see the tonalities of a
scene in a way that approximates the response of panchromatic film. This
helps, for example, to avoid merging tonalities. Since my recollection of
optical physics is exceedingly dim (pun intended), I do not want to be
judged too harshly for saying "the Wratten #90 filter removes chroma", the
phrase that sticks in my mind.
Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] was a really smart Leica, now Viewing Filters)