Subject: Re: [Leica] A really smart Leica
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:40:07 -0700

On 2003-09-13 tedgrant@shaw.ca (Ted Grant) thoughtfully wrote:

>If I were to shoot using that dinky little screen to see what I was
>shooting, that by the time I did, the moment would be long gone! However,
>seeing I'm still in the infancy stage with this toy I'm reserving further
>comments for a few days while I attempt to "play photographer" with this
>non-film recording device. ;-)

One of the really useful features of that dinky little screen is the ability to
display the histogram of the image you've just shot. This is invaluable
information for evaluating exposures on digitial cameras so you can push as much
information into the upper high-bit portions of the image where there is less
noise than down in the low parts.

It's much the same as a VU meter or a real-time spectrum analyzer for making
audio recordings.

Those of us who use high-end video cameras most often see a monochrome world
through the view-finder. It's very useful for learning to see images in terms of
their value.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] A really smart Leica)