Subject: Re: [Leica] A really smart Leica
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:22:14 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:
> > >If I were to shoot using that dinky little screen to see what I was
> >shooting, that by the time I did, the moment would be long gone! However,
> >seeing I'm still in the infancy stage with this toy I'm reserving further
> >comments for a few days while I attempt to "play photographer" with this
> >non-film recording device. ;-)<<<<

Adam Bridge offered:
> One of the really useful features of that dinky little screen is the
ability to
> display the histogram of the image you've just shot. This is invaluable
> information for evaluating exposures on digital cameras so you can push as
much
> information into the upper high-bit portions of the image where there is
less
> noise than down in the low parts.
>
> It's much the same as a VU meter or a real-time spectrum analyzer for
making
> audio recordings.
>
> Those of us who use high-end video cameras most often see a monochrome
world
> through the view-finder. It's very useful for learning to see images in
terms of
> their value.<<<<

Adam lad,

A: Thank you very much for your kind assistance and advice. Much
appreciated..

But this is ted grant you're trying to explain technical things to, a
photographer who does his picture taking by feel and emotion, non-technical
stuff. :-) And as much as I appreciate your kind offerings to make my
digital imagery better and to squeak max quality out of my electronic
recording toy, I'm afraid you completely lost me at.....  >>the ability to
display the histogram of the image you've just shot<<<<

B:
Let me say for the moment, this Canon G5 digital camera has a viewfinder and
I look through that as I would any of my M7's and when it looks OK, I push
the "click" button! :-) So far I'm recording things that look like it's me
still shooting film, but the really neat thing is, dang there it is right
away! Love it! :-)

I look on the screen like every rookie to see how good or bad I look, drives
me crazy out doors cause I can't see anything, indoors it's great! I've
discovered how to turn off the damn flash and shoot available light and it's
wonderful to still be able to do that. I don't have any idea what the
ISO/ASA is set at, but it's whatever came with the camera

I've also discovered the "elusive lag gremlin" ;-) many of you lads have
tried for some time to explain to me. It really happens as you've said.
However, the more I shoot the easier it becomes, so far I've managed to stop
my grandson doing wheelies on his bike and jumping in the air. And sharp!
;-) That pleased me no end! :-)

So far it's fun and that's why I have it, to have fun with and learn the new
opportunities it provides me to carry on with my photography. Quite frankly
the past couple of days are like 53 years ago as I played at being a hopeful
pie in the sky future LIFE photographer shooting pictures of everything I
could get in focus & all by available light ;-)

Thanks again Adam, your advice is much appreciated for the helping hand it
is. I know some day shortly I'll understand what you mean and use this
information as you've described. thanks.
ted