Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Subsidies to private schools VERY OT..;-)
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:04:29 -0400

Good for you, Greg! There are far, far too few people who fail to
understand what you are saying and acting on.

And as to LRZ's suggestion that vouchers don't take money from the
public school, because the parents receiving them "pay local school
taxes - Most of the people who will go for vouchers are the poor folks
in the inner cities with awful public schools - and they sure as hell
aren't paying more in local taxes than they are getting from vouchers-
in fact, most of them are probably renters, paying no property taxes,
and property taxes are, in most areas, what pay for public schools. So
the money for a voucher system sure does come ultimately from public
school funds.

Some day, perhaps, maybe, the public will come to understand that taxes
are not monies we pay to 'them' to support 'them' - they are the funds
that repair our roads, pay for our public educational system, pay for
police and fire protection, pay for health care for those who can't
afford insurance, pay to vaguely protect the environment, support
libraries - and, oh yes, pay for defense. No taxes - no public services.
Pay less taxes - get less services. Sure there's lots of waste and
corruption - the answer to that is to clean it up, rather than rail
against paying taxes.

B. D.