Subject: [Leica] Re: Subsidies to private schools
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:10:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/03 12:44:31 PM, klw.51@comcast.net writes:

<< In my state (Michigan) schools are paid per student enrolled, and
most of the money comes from the state. Therefore students lost to
vouchers or private schools by any means takes money directly from
the public school. As you said the private schools do cheery pick and
often they are only K-6 or K-8 schools, leaving the the more
expensive 9-12 students to the public schools.

Your statement about teacher salaries is VERY misleading. Most
teachers I know spend a great dceal more than 6 hours on the job.
Grading papers, planning lessons, filling out misc. paperwork and
dealing with parents takes many more hours. Most teachers that I know
also spend The 2 summer months working on curriculum committees and
attending school to enhance their skills. >>

You have made part of my point. It is the State and local communities that
decide how funds are allocated to public education, not the Federal government.
The funds generally come from three sources, property taxes, the state general
revenue fund raised by income and use taxes, and, recently, statewide
lotteries. Michigan is to be complimented on funding public education largely out of
general revenues since the tax load is spread more evenly. Still, those taxes
are paid for life by parents whose children attend both public and private
schools. Other states, including my own, New York, rely on property taxes as the
primary source of revenue. The state suppliments these taxes on a per pupil
basis to equalize expenditure between richer and poorer communities, but these
state payments amount to less than 25% of the budget of even the poorer
districts. Some affluent districts receive no state aid at all.

I have never heard of a state or school district authorizing a voucher of
more than $1000 per pupil to assist private education. There may well be one, but
not near my district. The per pupil cost of education in my district is close
to $12,000 a year, the majority paid for by property taxes. This is half the
cost of tuition in an Ivy League university and a good deal more than the
tuition in most state colleges. It is also more than the tuition at most private
secondary schools and about triple that of tuition in parochial schools. Logic
says that it would be more economical to close the public education system
down and sell off the properties, using education funding to pay the tuition of
all students in the private school of their choice. But of course the NEA and
the AFT would condemn the practice as leading to the collapse of Western
civilization.

As far as teacher's salaries, I notice you didn't quibble about the amount,
just the working hours. Teacher's pay and benefits have escalated dramatically
since the dark days of the '50s. In addition to long paid vacations, teachers
get full medical benefits and very generous state secured retirement programs.
Most also have job tenure, essentially meaning that they cannot get fired
unless they sexually assault their colleagues at high noon in the town square.
Removing a tenured teacher for cause in my state takes an average of three years
of litigation and costs a school district an average of $500,000 in fees and
settlements. Admittedly some teachers work more than six hours a day and some
get drunk at lunch. There are good and bad eggs in every profession. Summer
training is laudable but additional educational degrees are usually compensated
by salary increases.

I spent 32 years in the bowels of the education system, both secondary and
university level and know whereof I speak. But I used a Leica to photograph all
school events so that makes me a good person.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: Subsidies to private schools)