Subject: [Leica] OT: Minox 35
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:43:49 -0700

Bob wrote:
"Speaking of flare, Minox made a miserable rubber lens-shade with built-in
plastic UV lens that clipped onto the narrow ring on the front of the lens.
It constantly fell off and was more trouble than it was worth. One of the
ways I minimize flare with the Minox is to avoid backlighting or strong
crosslighting as much as possible and shoot as close to the subject as
possible."
I've had a 35GT for about 8 years or so; it is a great backup camera for the
M6 on extended trips and almost as perfect for ultralight hikes as my little
Rollei 35S that got stolen. Its self-timer also comes in handy. The add-on
UV filter never worked for me either; when I wrote to Minox a technician
wrote back suggesting that I bend the flanges of the slip-on share with
pliers until the filter stays on. Not my idea of how to build stuff. I
occasionally hold the Minox upside down (using its cover as a shade) to
prevent light striking the lens. For 50 cents I bought (at a flea market) a
wrist strap that screws into the tripod socket.
Oliver Bryk