Subject: [Leica] OT: Color calibration help needed
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:13:37 +0200

Some of you may recall the color disaster and the ensuing discussion a
few weeks ago after I posted a picture of my daughter on a rollercoaster
which looked fine on my PC but awful on most other people's. Following
the advice I received, I have bought the Optical Spyder calibration
device from Pantone and have now calibrated my monitor with it. The
resulting ICM profile is now the default profile on my monitor. So far
so good. The only difference I can see is that the screen looks a bit
more pink than before. Now to my questions:

1) I know that Windows gamma is supposed to be 2.2 but I use Colormatch
RGB as my working space in Photoshop, and so following the advice in the
Spyder manual I selected gamma=1.8 and color temperature=5000K when
doing the calibration. Is this going to create an issue when I post my
images?

2) There is no obvious place in Photoshop where I can let the program
know that the monitor color space is now the one I just created. But I
assume that since I let Optical set the new space as the default, all is
well. Am I right?

3) Finally, in Vuescan I have let the program know that the monitor
color space is now the one I just created.

With the above, am I right in assuming that now, if an image looks good
to me, it will look good to everyone else (or at least most people),
composition and content aside? Or is there more to this color thing than
I realize?

Thanks in advance for your indulgence. If this does not work out, I will
definitely give up on posting color images and stick to B&W...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands